Digital communications team update – July 2020
Latest updates from the digital communications team and useful articles and resources relating to digital best practice for July 2020.
Schools website project
The last School website, the School of Biology, was launched on 4 June 2020. This has brought the two-year Academic Schools Website project to a close. The project was delivered on time and under budget, which is a huge achievement for everyone involved – IT Services, digital communications team, BTPO, computing officers, the PURE team, HR, School staff and many more.
Read more about the conclusion of the Academic Schools project.
The digital communications team is helping support the following dual delivery workstreams:
- 1 – Education readiness: we are working to redesign the module catalogue.
- 3 – Digital environment: we are helping ITS create a mobile app for students.
- 9 – Student experience: we are creating a draft survey for students to find out how they use social media.
- 10 – Communications: we are migrating existing learning and teaching web pages into a new education site for staff and students. This site will be hosted in T4v8 and is due to go live on the 21 July. This initial launch will primarily focus on education-related content for staff and will include existing information from the learning and teaching site, as well as information regarding dual mode delivery teaching.
The WordPress multisite (wp.st-andrews.ac.uk) currently hosts about 200 websites, some of which have designs that do not comply with accessibility legislation that takes effect from 23 September 2020. We are in the process of contacting all site owners to help them to switch their designs to one that is accessible.
Recent blog posts
Articles and resources
- Stories of Web Users (W3C) – stories of people with disabilities using the web
- US falls out of top 10 average internet speeds globally in 2020 (DecisionData)
- Global Accessibility Awareness Day recordings (Government Digital Service)
- Emojis in Email Subject Lines: Advantage or Impediment? (Nielsen Norman Group)
- How to create accessible content (University of Kent)