Digital communications team update – August 2020
Latest updates from the digital communications team and useful articles and resources relating to digital best practice for August 2020.
The digital communications team is helping support the following dual delivery workstreams:
- 1 – Education readiness: we are working to redesign the module catalogue. The new catalogue will make it easier to find and view modules on mobile devices.
- 3 – Digital environment: we are helping ITS create a mobile app for students. The app will allow students to view personalised information such as their timetable and library record.
- 9 – Student experience: we are creating a draft survey for students to find out how they use social media. The information will allow us to plan the best way to engage with students during Orientation week.
- 10 – Communications: the new education site for staff and students went live on 21 July. The next step is to provide training for content coordinators so they can maintain the pages going forward.
The WordPress multisite (wp.st-andrews.ac.uk) currently hosts about 200 websites, some of which have designs that do not comply with accessibility legislation that takes effect from 23 September 2020. We are in the process of contacting all site owners to help them to switch their designs to one that is accessible. We are also updating the events site and the news site to use the accessible University WordPress theme.
Maria Drummond (previously web content editor and digital data analyst), has left the digital communications team to join BTPO as a business analyst. We wish her a fond farewell on more than four years of stellar service in our team.
Articles and resources
- Coronavirus, campus life and the 2020 student mindset (terminalfour)
- Noun Project – library of free-to-use icons with a consistent look that you can use for things like presentations
- Proximity Principle in Visual Design (Nielsen Norman Group)
- Regulations that require plain language in Higher Ed (GatherContent)