Digital communications team update – September 2021
Latest updates from the digital communications team and useful articles and resources relating to digital best practice for September 2021.
Do you like this monthly newsletter? Hate it? Wish we’d cover different topics? We would like to better understand your experience with our newsletter so we can improve it in the future or offer better ways of delivering our information.
Have your say and take our digital newsletter survey!
Careers website launched
On Thursday 26 August 2021, we helped the Careers Centre relaunch the University’s careers website.
The new website uses feedback from students, alumni, staff and employers to make navigation easier and content more relevant.
New features include:
- Access listings for part-time and graduate jobs and internships from a single click on the homepage.
- Find resources and use the new career timelines to help you on your career journey, whether you are just starting to explore your options or ready to take steps towards applying.
- Prepare for and book appointments with careers advisers.
- Keep up to date with the Careers Centre’s events by visiting the events feed. There will also be a new blog launching soon.
- There are also new hubs for employers and alumni to explore the services the Careers Centre offers.
If you have any feedback about the new website, the Careers Centre would love to hear your thoughts. Students and staff have the chance to win a £25 Amazon gift voucher by filling out our feedback form before 24 September 2021.
Digital prospectus central data integration
We have successfully launched all of the undergraduate 2022-entry course web pages. For the first time, the undergraduate course pages are now pulling through the following from existing data:
- course name
- year of entry
- entry requirements
- course dates
- UCAS code
- contact information.
The data integration will remove the need to manually add this information to the course pages every year. It will also eliminate inconsistencies between key information on the course pages and that found in SITS due to human error. This is a massive milestone, and we are grateful to the Admissions team, Registry, IT Services and our two summer interns for their diligent work on this project.
T4v7 upgraded to v8
The T4v7 system has now been updated to use the v8 software. We are now referring to all pages held in the former v7 system as ‘T4 (old design)’, and all external pages already held in T4v8 as ‘T4 (new design)’ to avoid confusion.
As part of this work, we have updated the design of the internal student and staff landing pages:
Recent blog posts
- Phrases to avoid on the web
- Internship with the Digital Communications team – Piotr Kaniewski
- Internship with the Digital Communications team – Isla Evans
Articles and resources
- How to Fit Big Tables on Small Screens (four-minute video) – Nielsen Normal Group
- Content review: Reduce the time it takes to review website content – GatherContent
- Don’t Make Me Think (book) – Steve Krug
Digital newsletter signup
The digital newsletter is sent out at the start of each month. Subscribe to keep up to date on the activities of the digital communications team and to receive useful articles and resources relating to digital best practice. To subscribe, please email email@example.com.