Digital Communications team update – December 2022
Latest updates from the Digital Communications team at University of St Andrews for December 2022.
John Chapman (previously social media and web content editor) has left the digital communications team. We are sad to see him go, but we wish him a fond farewell after more than five years of stellar service to the University!
New members of the team appointed
We have new colleagues starting with us in January 2023.
- Senior Web Content Editor
- Web Content Editor and Trainer
- Web Content Editor
- Web Developer
More details will be given in the next newsletter. We are looking forward to welcoming and working with them!
Latest from the blog
With over 200 courses available, prospective students, parents and teachers come to our website to find out what St Andrews has to offer. Over the summer we spent time implementing new methods to improve the management of the course pages.
From the start of any digital project, accessibility should be the main focus of your content. If what you have created has accessibility issues you will have to revisit it to make it so. This can sometimes create a mountain of additional time and work. We have compiled a list of our must-read accessibility articles from the blog.
Key website stats for 2022
- Total University website page views: 26,391,131
- Unique page views: 20,331,230
- Website visits from 241 countries and territories (1 visit from Christmas Island!)
- Most popular browsers: Chrome (42%), Safari (38%), Android WebView (8%), Edge (6%), Firefox (3%)
- Mobile devices now account for 52% of website traffic.
- There are over 4000 PDF files with accessibility issues.
- Most popular PDF with 5,813 downloads: residents guide 2021-2022
- Members of staff with spelling mistakes in their biographies: 103
Webpages with highest views for 2022
- University of St Andrews homepage: 1,946,842
- Subjects at St Andrews: 681,640
- Library: 443,309
- Current staff: 379,386
- TESOL Virtual information sessions booking form: 308,275
- Entry requirements: 308,032
- Study at St Andrews: 302,231
- Current students: 197,063
- My application: 173,992
- International Foundation programmes: 165,016
- Accommodation at St Andrews: 143,827
- Semester dates: 138,548
- Module catalogue: 130,515
- Halls of residence: 116,108
- How to apply for undergraduate study: 102,694
Articles and resources
- Minimize Cognitive Load to Maximize Usability (Nielsen Norman Group)
- What is object orientated UX? (UX Collective)
- 10 minute training: how to write accessible documents (Pickle Jar Communications)
Digital newsletter signup
The digital newsletter is sent out at the start of each month. Subscribe to keep up to date on the activities of the digital communications team and to receive useful articles and resources relating to digital best practice.