New Web Content Editor and Trainer

Richard Rooney
Tuesday 26 September 2023

Hi. I’m Richard, and I have joined the Digital Communications team as a Web Content Editor and Trainer.

It’s a few years ago now but I was once a wee boy who came to St Andrews for family holidays. So to put that staff badge around my neck last week was a special moment.

I started my role on Monday 18 September 2023 after almost 25 years at DC Thomson.

Most recently, I was Group Digital Editor with responsibility for websites including The Courier, Press & Journal and Sunday Post.

I also led the skills and training element of a major digital transformation that started in 2020.

Time for change

Having worked over the long term to put digital at the heart of the newsrooms, I was keen for a new challenge and a chance to test myself in a different environment.

In my first week at St Andrews I have already seen the passion and pride colleagues feel for the University. It’s exciting to join an institution that has world leading and digital at the core of its strategy.

My priorities and how you can help

I have also started to appreciate the size and scale of the University’s work. It’s… complex.

So one of my early priorities is to try to get to know as many people and teams as possible. I’ve realised how valuable it is to know who people are, who they work with, and how we can help each other.

It’s going to be a real privilege to work with outstanding colleagues across so many different subjects and disciplines, and I’m keen to join as many events and lectures as you’ll allow me to sneak into.

My second priority is to find a way to cycle into work. A cycle is my favourite way to bookend a working day and the facilities at the University are brilliant. Once you get there.

If you know a safe cycling route from the Tay Road Bridge to Guardbridge, please share the secret. If not, my campaign to get Fife Council to create one starts here.

Thanks to everyone who has been so welcoming in my first few days at St Andrews. I can’t wait to meet and work with more of you.

If you see me around, please say hello.