New team member

John Chapman
Monday 12 June 2017

Hello, it is nice to meet you! My name is John and I am the newest member of the digital communication team. I joined the team on Monday 5 June as the new social media and web content editor. I might be new to the University of St Andrews, but I am already familiar with the town as I grew up in Glenrothes and my family still live there today.

For the past seven years, I have lived in the north east of Scotland. I spent four years at the University of Aberdeen studying Politics and Sociology before going on to do a Masters in Digital Marketing at RGU also in Aberdeen. It was during this course that my passion for social media, analytics and web design started.

I have moved to the University from Inverness where I worked for Highlands and Islands Enterprise (HIE). While there, I worked as an online engagement officer within their digital team on a project called #hellodigital. This is a demonstration centre designed to connect business with technology through seminars and workshops. During my time at HIE, I had the fantastic opportunity to work with virtual reality, drones, 3D printers and 360⁰ cameras.

As the social media and web content editor, I will be helping with the running of the University’s official social media channels. This will involve developing and implementing a social media strategy and generating ideas for content that is appropriate, engaging and promotes the University. I will also be working with the wider digital communications team in maintaining and improving the University’s website.

My first week has involved a lot of training and familiarising myself with the different systems and guidelines used in the team. I look forward to continuing in my role and focusing on my first main task of assisting with the graduation communications. If you have any thoughts or ideas of what you would like to see on the official social media channels then please feel to email me, [email protected].