Digital communications team update – February 2021
Latest updates from the digital communications team and useful articles and resources relating to digital best practice for February 2021.
We are working on updating the events site to run the latest version of the events application. This will provide some minor enhancements to the functionality and make the application easier to maintain in the future. We are currently testing the changes and hope to make this live later this month.
Careers website redesign
We have begun work with the Careers Centre to redesign their website. We started with a kick-off meeting where we discussed key business objectives, issues with the current website, preferred methods of communication throughout the project, and the project phases.
We have started work on Phase 1, which is the research phase. So far, we have undertaken competitor analyses, pulled analytics data on the current site, launched a website survey (which closes Sunday 7 February), and started conducting workshop and interview sessions with key stakeholder groups.
Once we have finished the research phase, we will put together a list of user requirements and begin designing an information architecture based on these.
We are hoping to complete the redesign by May 2021.
New sustainability site
Working with the Environment Team, we have launched a new sustainability website which is intended to make it easier to find information about the University’s sustainability strategy and initiatives for both internal and external audiences. This new site has simplified and consolidated information previously found scattered across the website, and we have managed to reduce the sustainability web presence from 104 pages to only 12.
Meet us pages revamp
Due to Covid-19, the Admissions team has had to temporarily halt in-person visits. We have now reflected this on the web by temporarily removing the visiting days section and redirecting to the Meet us web pages. Working with the Admissions team, we removed out-of-date and redundant information, creating a sleeker and reduced new meet us section.
Recent blog posts
- Improving video accessibility
- How to set up an intranet project in 11 steps
- Feedback for web authors
- About Digital Communications video
- Six steps to overcome online indecision
- Fleets: What are they and how can a university use them?
- What makes for a good set of requirements?
- Inclusive design for social media
- A look at T4 Dashboards
- House style updates
- Six accessible WordPress themes that we use on our multisite
- How we are using Hotjar to improve our web pages
- From strings to things
- Bad UX design fails
- Searching the module catalogue with Funnelback
- Digital communications team successes in 2020
Articles and resources
- How to create content on the same topic for multiple audiences (GatherContent)
- Aesthetic and Minimalist Design (Nielsen Norman Group)
- Free live digital training (Google)
- Introduction to Content Design course (Government Digital Service)
Digital newsletter signup
The digital newsletter is sent out at the start of each month. Subscribe to keep up to date on the activities of the digital communications team and to receive useful articles and resources relating to digital best practice. To subscribe, please email email@example.com.